Boutinot Fide et Arte ‘Les Coteaux’, Côtes du Rhône Villages 2009
Common practice in the Côtes du Rhône is to bottle the best cuvées as a single named Village wine and the rest as basic Rhône Villages. Boutinot’s philosophy, on the other hand, is to start with the intention of making the very best Côtes du Rhône Villages possible by sourcing wine from the vineyards of named villages and enriching them with a small proportion of barrel-aged wine from Sablet, Séguret & Cairanne. Boutinot Les Coteaux is therefore a selection of the best from some of the 17 named Côtes du Rhône Villages, rather than the wine ‘left over’ after making named Villages.
Immediately impressive this wine reveals its class right from the start. An exuberantly fruity nose with high notes of complexity and depth is followed by intense lashings of flavour on the palate. The finish is smooth and satisfying with depth and persistence - simply stunning!
- Côtes du Rhône Villages
- Mostly Grenache Noir with some Syrah
- Eric Monnin sources wine from a number of growers with exceptional terroir allowing him the flexibility to select only the very best fruit each vintage and reject parcels which do not meet our high standards.
- Côtes du Rhône Villages enriched with barrels of ‘classified’ named Village wine from Cairanne, Sablet and Séguret.
- Mostly unoaked, a small proportion (15%) is part aged for 22 months in a few new but mostly older oak barrels to bring depth and subtle notes of complexity.
- 14% vol
- October 2011
- Bottle Size
- Press Coverage
- 90 points and 'Smart Buy', Wine Spectator, 30th Sept 2012 issue
“This broad, gutsy red delivers lots of mouthfilling plum, blackberry, roasted fig, bramble, smoldering tobacco and warm stone notes. Dark and dense through the finish, but well-delineated. Drink now through 2016. 3,000 cases imported.—J.M.” James Molesworth, Wine Spectator, 30th September 2012.Included in '100 Outstanding Value of 2012' list, Wine Spectator Dec 31 2012/ Jan 15 2012 issue
- Sommelier Wine Awards 2012 - Gold
International Wine & Spirit Competition 2012 - Silver
China Best Value Wine Awards 2012: Gold Award